Sunday 31 January 2010

Interpersonal Conflict

Background information:

When I was 7 years old, my father went to Japan to pursue his PhD. Thus, my mother took care of me single-handedly for 6 years. During this period, due to stress from work, my mother was not in good health. Despite that, she still cared about me the most.

Story:

About three years ago, my mother was diagnosed with some kind of tumour in her body. Although it was not fatal and it was treatable, it seemed like a bomb to my mother. Before the diagnosis, my parents kept it a secret from me. So I had no clue. That was until one day when their quarrel attracted my attention. I walked into their room. I saw my mother lying on the bed, sniffing. My father was sitting on the bed and staring at the floor. My mother noticed me entering and began to tell me the whole story. The first time the doctor told my mother that there was a tumour in her body, she was so shocked and scared. However, my father was quite optimistic and did not treat this as a big deal. Moreover, he did not offer to take care of housework in order to lighten the burden of my mother. Hence, my mother was very upset and broken-hearted.

After hearing the story, I asked about the real situation of this tumour and tried to reassure her. However, my mother was quite upset with my reaction as well. She did not understand how I could remain so calm after hearing the bad news even though she had raised me on her own for six years. She claimed that I was too cold to her and that I did not behave like how a good son should. At that moment, I had the impulse to ask her what she expected me to do. Hold her hands and cry with her? It was not what a man would do. But I knew it was inappropriate to say so.

Question:

If you were me, what would you say and how would you behave after hearing the news and what you would say to both my parents who were in the middle of a quarrel?

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Ji Lu
    I have seen quite a few disagreement and severe quarrel between my parents as well. Sometimes it was really serious. A lot of the case, when one of them was so much upset, the other was reacting in a same way and the conversation is end up with disaster. The tempers began to fray and then people easily lost their control.
    I think one way to resolve that is stop making instant reaction and calm it down first. Additionally, we also need to avoid the others get angry because it does not help for communication at all.
    After a while, we can talk about the matter in a constructive way. In that conversation, I believe we should be honest. Describe them how you feel about matter in detail. The moment when you tell them in detail, it is easier for them to understand why you feel like that.

    Ok, please tell your opinion, buddy! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ji Lu,
    Be natural. If you don't feel like crying then don't cry. Perhaps, as a woman, she needs someone to demonstrate some form of comfort to her.

    Your mother has raised you single-handedly and without her husband by her side most of the time, she will most likely place high hopes on you.

    Please do not ask her opinion on your way to react as it can provoke her to become even more upset as she was then sensitive.

    What I think you can do is to use non-verbal cues such as holding her hands tight and reaffirm her that everything will go well for her. Spend more time with her. It is now your turn to take care of her as you re a grown-up now.

    Show her more concern and coverse more with her.Be observant. If you notice any unease of her, ask if she is feeling uncomfortable. Do more housework and prepare daily meals as she needs more rest. All these are little signs of concern which show you love her and want her to get well soon.

    If they have already known your presence, you can advice and try to be a middle-man. I think its best not to side with any of them during the quarrel. Else, I think the conflict shall escalate and your mother will feel more upset and your father more furious . Talk to your parents separately afterwards.
    Cheers ,
    Serene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ji Lu,

    When your mother asked why you didn't respond to her problem, I think that it was an attempt to get some attention from you. I do not believe that she wanted you to cry. I think she wanted you to react to what she was telling you. She probably wanted to be heard, and wanted to be understood, and be validated.

    I am sure that you love your mother, and so would your father. But maybe she does not feel appreciated enough. I suppose there is some other need that she wants to be met. Perhaps she has mistaken your fathers' optimism for his ignorance. Maybe she really believe that she would not be getting better, and thus just cannot understand why your father is ignorant. This could be a cause for their conflicts.

    I think you should have shared with her your sadness in receiving the news. And tell her you understand and that she should stay strong. You can verbalise your emotions, and yet remain calm as you did.

    And about entering the room while they were quarrelling, I honestly am not sure what I would have done.

    Anyway I hope your mom is getting better now. God bless her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Serene
    Thanks for your advice. I totally understand what you have said and I know that is the right thing to do. But maybe due to the environment I grew up or the fact that I am a boy, I also feel reluctant and awkward to do something like that. I know it is my problem and I should work on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing so vividly this scenario, Ji Lu. I can sense your pain in the situation. I also appreciate your willingness to "open up" about this. You do a very fine job of describing the context of the conflict and your motivation for not behaving as your mother might have expected. You also describe her perspective well. Finally, you pose a very focused question. All of this has initiated a good discussion from your readers.

    Of course, the trauma of your mom's diagnosis probably influenced her feeling fragile at that time. Like others have mentioned, she might have been needing validation and a sign of your love. Would a hug have made a difference? My feeling might be culture specific.

    Those types of situations are especially difficult. I hope your mom is well now and that you don't face this again too soon.

    ReplyDelete